Locally produced tyre a game changer for trucking industry
"Buying local is key to rebuilding the South African economy following the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Produced in the state-of-the-art Ladysmith, KwaZulu-Natal Truck Bus Radial manufacturing plant to meet the needs of the “always on the road” trucking industry, Sumitomo Dunlop has launched a new premium Drive truck tyre. Locally researched, produced and tested, the SP835A ticks all of the boxes for the long haul, highway trucking fleet. "
“The SP835A is a big deal for both the company and the trucking industry,” said Riaz Haffejee, CEO of Sumitomo Rubber South Africa, manufacturer of Dunlop tyres. “The launch of the SP835A sees the beginning of a new era where we are now able to supply a full set of locally produced tyres for the entire truck, for all positions – from Steer, to Drive and Trailer.”
A premium Drive tyre, the SP835A was developed for improved Cost per Kilometre (CPK), high mileage in long-haul highway applications. Exhibiting even tread wear and low rolling resistance due to DECTES* technology (reducing fuel consumption), the tyre has been manufactured using a cut resistant compound and has a Heel and Toe resistant pattern. Better heat dissipation is achieved using base tread material in the tread construction which enhances re-treadability.
Key features include:
- Reinforced bead: Bead with nylon reinforcement for even wear performance
- Optimised Breakers Angle: Better distribution of ground contact pressure results in uniform tread wear improvement.
- Pattern highlights:
- Lug groove with different angle aimed at minimizing retention of stones and keeping block stiffness.
- Less partial abrasion during block movement for even wear and higher mileage.
- Tie-bars on the shoulder blocks reduces Heel & Toe wear, increasing driver comfort.
- Performance improvement between wear, cut/chipping and stone trapping.
- Available sizes: 315/80R22.5 and 295/80R22.5.
In house field application tests on 315/80R22.5 showed best performance in the Drive application for the SP835A versus 31 competitors and 19 Dunlop tyres in three different fleets, showing an up to 18% improvement on mileage.